Just an hour or so from Penn Station, Long Islanders often think of Manhattan as their cultural destination.
But our area is filled with world-class cultural offerings all year long and often at much reduced prices. This new feature, "Long Island Culture," will let you know in advance our top picks for upcoming music and arts offerings in the area.
You can add your own in the comment section below. You can also pitch your best offerings to Local Editor Joe Dowd at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here's our first list of selections:
Kathy Mattea at the Landmark:
- The multi-Grammy Award winner and songwriter will be appear Sat. Jan. 26 at 8 p.m. at the Landmark on Main Street in Port Washington. She'll perform some of her Top 20 hits including "Where've You Been?" "455 Rocket" and "Eighteen Wheels and a Dozen Roses." Hosted by WFUV's John Platt.
- Tickets: Premium $50; standard $45 with discounts for Friends of Landmark.
- Info: 516-767-6444 or www.landmarkonmainstreet.org.
Mirrored Images: Realism in the 19th and 20th Centuries.
- The Heckscher Museum of Art in Huntington features this exhibition, drawn entirely from its permanent collection, exploring the various realist movements of the last two centuries. The exhibit spans the Barbizon movement in mid-19th century France and the concurrent Hudson River School in America and progresses through various realist movements. Located at 2 Prime Ave., Huntington.
- Admission: $6 for Huntington residents, $8 for non-residents, less for kids and seniors. Open Wednesday-Sunday.
- Info: http://www.heckscher.org/pages.php?which_page=general_information.
Cultural Arts Playhouse announces Spring Season
The Cultural Arts Playhouse, with theatres in Plainview and Roslyn Heights, has announced their Spring Season with musical offerings for the entire family:
- Hairspray the Musical: Starring Bruce Grossman as Edna, Roslyn Heights; Jan 25- Feb 10.
- Carrie the Musical: at Plainview, Feb. 15- March 3.
- Xanadu the Musical: at Roslyn Heights, Feb. 22- March 10.
- Boomermania the Musical: A musical tale about the Baby Boomers, at Roslyn Heights, April 19-28.
- Tickets and Info:Cultural Arts Playhouse.
Masters of Illusion Live! coming to Westbury
- The NYCB Theatre at Westbury offers a two-hour spectacle of the world’s greatest illusionists on Sunday, Jan. 27 at 3 p.m. More than a half dozen renowned performers – escapologists, illusionists and quick-change artists will appear with wild animals and beautiful dancers.
- Tickets: $69.50, $39.50 and $19.50. Available online at www.ticketmaster.com, charge by phone at 800-745-3000 and at the Westbury box office.
- Info: More information visit www.thetheatreatwestbury.com.
Let us know about upcoming cultural events in your area. Include them in the comment section.