Assemblymen Ed Ra, R-Franklin Square, recently held his 2013 Women of Distinction Award ceremony on Sept. 28, honoring 13 area women for their commitment to bettering the quality of life for their communities.
The honorees’ work included service in education, the medical field, and community service and volunteerism.
“This year’s Women of Distinction Award ceremony was a great way to honor those who have continually gone out of their way to make their communities a little brighter,” Ra said. “From serving as teachers to volunteer work in local groups, this year’s slate of honorees is truly remarkable. It was a pleasure to host this event and express our gratitude to these truly wonderful members of our community.”
The Women of Distinction award ceremony was begun by Assemblyman Thomas McKevitt when he represented the area and an event Ra had promised to continue.
Seven women with strong ties to the Village of Mineola and the surrounding area were among those recognized during a morning ceremony on Sept. 28 at the Williston Park VFW Hall:
The list of 2013 Women of Distinction Award honorees is as follows:
- Rita Cona – Franklin Square
- Dorothy Daly – Alberston
- Donnalynn Darling – Garden City
- Caroline DeBenedittis – East Williston
- Diane Hansen – West Hempstead
- Regina McGowan – Garden City
- Rosalie Norton – West Hempstead
- Carol Nowakowski – New Hyde Park
- Purnima Popli – Garden City
- Joan Romagnoli – Garden City Park
- Lynn Schaefering – Garden City Park
- Suzanne A. Viscovich – Floral Park