“As we get closer to Christmas, residents I’m sure will be putting Christmas trees in their homes,” Mineola Fire Department ex-chief Jeffrey Clark said seeking to advise residents at the December 12 meeting of the Mineola Village Board.
Clark offered a variety of tree care and safety tips to residents, including:
- before they put the tree in the house they should cut about an inch off the bottom of the tree
- it should go into a tree stand that can hold at least a gallon of water
- they should put it in that water immediately after cutting it and make sure there is water in the tree stand throughout the season
- if it starts to get a little dry, they should remove the tree from the house. You don’t want it to get too dry.
- If you use a smaller bulb, it will generate less heat and be less of a problem for the tree when it starts to dry out.