.

Mineola Fire Chief Warns Residents of Carbon Monoxide Danger

Department seeing increase in number of alarms related to toxic gas.

Since January 1 the has responded to 60 calls, 26 of which have been general smoke detector alarms, three for brush/ trash fire, one vehicle extrication, 19 “miscellaneous calls” such as gas leaks and waterflow alarms and 11 of which have been carbon monoxide.

“The one we’re really concerned about and we want the residents to be reminded of is the (carbon monoxide) alarms, that they should continue to check those alarms in their homes,” Mineola Fire Department Chief Jeffrey Clark said in a report to the during their February 15 meeting at the . “If they don’t have one they should consider getting one and if the batteries are out, they should make sure that the batteries are functioning.”

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, orderless and tasteless gas which is harmful to humans and animals alike. The toxic gas can emanate from home appliances which burn fuel such as furnaces, stoves, water heaters and other devices which rely on a form of gas in which to operate.

The chief stated that a carbon monoxide alarm should typically be changed every 5 years as they do have a finite lifespan.

“We have had a , issues with the (carbon monoxide) in the home and the residents have called us and we’ve come in and checked out the house and cleared out the situation and make sure they were safe,” Clark said of the department’s efforts. “So that’s really the number one issue at this point is to make sure that those alarms, smoke alarms and (carbon monoxide) alarms are working properly.”

Geoffrey Walter February 28, 2012 at 08:50 PM
We’re interested to know how many residents have carbon monoxide detectors in their homes.
SLJ February 29, 2012 at 12:46 AM
I have a smoke detector and a seperate carbon dioxide detector.
Robert Connolly February 29, 2012 at 07:58 PM
As a former Fire Chief I have responded to numerous CO alarm activations which were primarily false activations. Often times it was a "LB" (in one case the homeowner told me her detector was reading "87" until I noticed it was mounted upside down....."LB") Sometimes replacing the battery did not clear the alarm. After researching this topic I found that many manufacturers including Kidde produce their CO Detectors with an integrated end-of-life alarm. This will beep like a low battery alert but replacing the battery will not silence the beep. These detectors do have a MFG. Date imprinted on them. If the detector is 7 years old, it needs to be replaced.

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »