Mineola Firefighters Respond to Smoke at Raines Apartments

Overheated elevator motor reportedly cause of incident.

An overheated elevator motor in the basement of the new apartments on Mineola Boulevard behind the Raines Building set off alarms Wednesday night when smoke from the motor permeated throughout the building.

The incident occurred at about 9:51 p.m.

Mineola firefighters responded to the scene, shutting off electricity to the elevator shaft, evacuating the building and putting positive pressure inside the building to blow the smoke out of the apartment levels.

The second story apartments are interconnected and are located above ground-floor storefronts which were unoccupied at the time of the incident.

Residents were allowed back into the building at about 10:08 p.m. There were no injuries reported at the scene.

Building crews were notified and were on their way to make repairs to the elevator. Residents would not have use of the elevator for the remainder of the night.

Receive updates to this story and other breaking news in your inbox or smartphone by signing up for our newsletter here

Get Mineola news on Facebook


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »