The Mineola held a meeting on Wednesday, August 8. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
2013 St. Patrick’s Day Parade
- The will hold their annual St. Patrick’s Day Parade on Sunday, March 3, 2012 at 1 p.m.
- “I believe that we’re all in agreement that the parade committee – which was actually led by a Mineola resident, Jeff Clark – and the entire volunteer organization of the Irish American Society did a tremendous job in trying to accommodate the village’s requests to protect the residents and the residential areas,” village clerk Joseph Scalero said. “It went off without a hitch, I thought it was a remarkably well-organized parade.”
- Last year the society requested from Garden City , with a route of beginning at the , north on County Seat Drive to Old Country Road where they would turn left before a right onto Mineola Boulevard, heading up to Jericho Turnpike and heading east before ending at Willis Avenue.
- “It was a great success last year, I wish them the very best in 2013,” said.
- will use the auditorium for its 2012-13 wellness education program series “Health Update for Seniors and Their Families” from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. on the following dates: September 10; October 10; November 14; December 12; March 13, 2013; April 10, 2013; May 8, 2013; June 12, 2013. This is an annual request.
- Winthrop University Hospital will also use the community center auditorium for its free community wellness education program series from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on the following dates: Tuesday, October 2; Tuesday, October 16; Thursday, October 18; Tuesday, October 23; Thursday, October 30 (5 p.m. to 9 p.m.); Thursday, November 8; Tuesday, November 13; Thursday, November 15; Tuesday, April 30, 2013; Thursday, May 2, 2013; Tuesday, May 14, 2013. The hospital is currently undergoing construction of its new research facility and the site where these events are normally hosted will no longer be available during construction and attempts by the hospital to secure another location were unsuccessful.
Jericho Turnpike Property
- The village was recently approached by party looking to rent a portion of a property located on the south side of Jericho Turnpike in a vacant lot by Rudolph Drive near the apartment complex.
- “We agreed to jointly have an appraisal made of the fair rental value of the property,” village attorney John Spellman said, referring to the owner of the building.
- The appraisal put the value of a rental at $28,000 per year, a figure the property owner disagreed with based on the amount of capital improvement they would have to make to the property.
- “Unless the village is willing to lease the property for substantially less than what is appraised then they were not interested,” Spellman said, noting that the party is also interested in purchasing the property for $175,000.
- The appraised sale price is $233,000.
Other Board News
- A request from superintendent of public works Tom Rini and the deputy superintendent of public works to attend the annual NYCOM Public Works Training School in Canandaigua, NY from October 22-24 was approved. This is an annual request.
- A number of tax certiorari settlements for fiscal year 2012-13 were approved by the board in undisclosed amounts. “In a given year, they used to come up on the calendar and we tend to settle them,” Spellman said. “We then present that number to the board during the budget period and the board ultimately passes the budget implicitly agreeing to settle these cases. After June 1, we then present to the board the actual resolution to approve the settlement. These are the cases that we settled last year for payment this year and they are part of the budget.”
The next meeting of the Mineola Village Board will be on Wednesday, September 5 at 6:30 p.m. at the village hall.