The Mineola Village Board of Trustees held a meeting on Wednesday, December 12. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
Fire Service Award
- A $420 monthly benefit payout was approved from the fire service award fund to Mineola Fire Department volunteer firefighter Leonard A. Schmitt, pursuant to the length of service awards program, effective Jan. 1, 2013.
- Each year certain members of the fire department become eligible for the award for their years of service.
- There is another candidate who recently turned in their paperwork who will be given the award in January.
Employee Time Adjustment
- A compensatory time adjustment for village employees was approved by the board for time worked both during and after Hurricane Sandy.
- Some employees were not required to come in as village offices were closed and shut down and the measure compensated people for the time lost.
- “We’re just trying to give them some compensatory time to help with that judgement of time, working and not working through the hurricane,” mayor Scott Strauss said. “We all know how hard our village staff worked, tremendously hard through those, certainly those five first days and the DPW afterwards.”
- There is no cash value for the time and it does not go into their final payout calculations.
Public Notices on Village Website
- In response to a resident’s question about whether public hearing notices and materials could be posted to the village website, village clerk Joseph Sclaero said that they do have the capacity but asked to “hold off” until at least January as “we have some interesting options” and could possibly link the notices with emails that are sent out by the village.
- “There are people who have signed up to be notified when there’s hearings, this way they can also get the materials at the same time,” Scalero said. “It’s just easier to do it at once so rather than rushing and start posting stuff and having to go back.”
The board approved a request from the Mineola Fire Department for budget transfers in the amount of $4,500 from the following lines:
- $1,000 from hose and equipment
- $800 from fitness and equipment
- $1,200 annual installation dinner
- $1,500 from dues and conferences
- $4,500 to computers.
The transfers are for computer upgrades.
Other Board News
- Michael J. Harrington was approved as a new member of the Mineola Fire Department Company 1.
The next meeting of the Mineola Village Board will be on Wednesday, January 2 at 6:30 p.m. at the village hall.