The Mineola Village Board of Trustees held a meeting on Wednesday, December 5. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
Road Reconstruction Project
- The road reconstruction project for Third Avenue, Harrison Avenue, Lincoln Avenue, Grant Avenue and Lincoln Avenue from Willis Avenue to the dead end was completed on December 3.
- Village crews were able to lay down the base asphalt on top of the mixed road base before Hurricane Sandy which “unfortunately put us a month off from doing anything else,” superintendent of public works Tom Rini said.
- The Mineola Athletic Association will use the community center auditorium for its soccer baseball and softball practice and clinics on Saturdays and Sundays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. from Jan. 5, 2013 to April 14, 2013 and Monday and Tuesday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Jan. 7, 2013 to April 16, 2013. This is the same request as in prior years. There are also some blackout dates such as the pasta dinner. The athletic association has been made aware of those dates and typically either alternate dates are presented or the use extended.
- Corpus Christi Church requested the use of village streets for a devotional procession on Wednesday, December 21 from 7:15 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. using the following route: Searing Avenue parking lot across from the Corpus Christi School building to Searing Avenue west to North on Willis Avenue to Garfield Avenue west to Corpus Christi Church.
Village Assessment Roll
- A contract with Standard Valuation Services and Michael Haberman Associates, Inc. was renewed to adjust and update the 2012 village assessment roll at a cost of $32,000.
- The village previously conducted a “clean” evaluation in 2007 and this is the annual update to that roll.
- Tax certiorari settlements are based upon the current assessment rolls.
- “It’s important to maintain the level of integrity of that roll,” village clerk Joseph Scalero said, noting 10-30 percent inaccuracies in the rolls utilized by Nassau County.
- Village attorney John Spellman said that the village’s rolls are based upon 100 percent market value and “as market trends impact our properties, we adjust every year so everyone can have it right.”
Other Board News
- Scalero noted that signups for the e-mail notifications on the village website “are climbing” but “they’re still much lower than I’d like them to be.” The village is capable of disseminating information on items such as changes to the sanitation schedule changes to notices of public hearing.
- Gary Cudville, a supervisory position in the water department a $5,000 increase which should have been done in August. Rini said that Cudville’s performance has been “very good.”
- The Mineola Athletic Association Hurricane team is having their second annual Christmas Tree fundraiser on Friday, December 14 from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Saturday, December 15 from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday, December 16 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- The board congratulated Mineola Fire Chief Joseph Pratt and his wife Anne-Marie on the birth of their first child.
The next meeting of the Mineola Village Board will be on Wednesday, December 5 at 6:30 p.m. at the village hall.