The Mineola held a meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 15. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
2012 Village Election
- Village trustees will be running unopposed in this year’s village elections after no other village resident filed petitions challenging for the seats.
- The deadline for filing was February 14.
- The village election will be held on March 20.
Road Improvement Project
- The village awarded the 2012 Miscellaneous Concrete Repairs on Village Roadways Requirements Contract to Roadwork Ahead, Inc. in the amount of $326,000.
- “That number is just a basis for awarding the bid,” Superintendent of Public Works Tom Rini said. “When we do a requirements contract, specifically on a concrete requirements contract, what we do is we divide it out over a small, medium and large-type job based on square footage and then break down all the components of the types of concrete reconstruction, whether it be sidewalk, curb, curb and gutter, valley gutters, handicapped aprons, saw cutting, all of the components that could possibly go into doing concrete reconstruction get put in.”
- The actual amount the village pays per repair work-order is based upon measurement then based upon the figures for each component necessary to complete the repairs given in the bid.
- The company also comes recommended by the village’s engineering firm of Dvirka & Bartilucci and has done repair work on Fairfield Avenue and Jerome Avenue during a previous road reconstruction project.
Village Calendar/ Collection Schedules
- A resident asked about sanitation collection schedules, specifically if the village could do more to publicize them or send out a calendar as several of his neighbors reportedly continue to place refuse out when garbage is on an alternate schedule and not being picked up.
- “If you’re home and it’s 3 o’clock and the garbage hasn’t been picked up, chances are it’s not your day,” deputy mayor Pereira said. “Pull it back in, just a little bit of common sense.”
- Village clerk Joseph Scalero said that he did not recall having a separate mailing for the calendar for quite some time. “We haven’t had one, going back to at least the late 90’s,” he said, noting that past village newsletters would often include calendar events. “With the advent of the internet and our television broadcasts and the incredibly expensive cost of mailing newsletters... we opted to go more with electronic methods.”
- The village clerk went on to say that the village administrative staff had been considering a “limited” four-page hard copy version published at the beginning of the year with “need-to-know” information about sanitation pickup and snow ordinances. “I put it on the back burner to work on the, which is coming up on the closing phase of that.”
- The village still produces a booklet for the recreation department for the summer months.
- The board approved a request from the for budget transfers in the amount of $3,500 from the following lines: A total of $3,500 in departmental budget transfers for the Mineola Fire Department were made from the following lines: $1,000 from OSHA Medicals to Scott masks; $1,500 from hose and equipment and $1,000 from OSHA Medicals to equipment.
- Another budget transfer for $6,013.47 for the reconstruction of a collapsed catch-basin and repair work was approved.
Other Board News
- During the month of January, the village justice court heard and collected the following fines for the number of cases listed: 70 moving violations for $8,715; two village ordinances exclusive to motor vehicles for $750; two housing violations for $1,200; 2,332 parking violations for $134,365; several miscellaneous fees in amounts ranging from $70 to $350 for a total of $145,450.
- Following the posting for a supervisory position in the water department several weeks ago, the board approved a recommendation of Gary Cudville, a current water department employee and a qualified operator for the water system. The position is a union position and Rini recommended a $4,000 increase in salary, with an additional review in six months.
- Village clerk Scalero requested authorization to repost a position for a building inspector after exhausting the civil service lists.
- The Mineola Junior Fire Department’s 16th annual pasta dinner will be held on March 11 from noon to 5 p.m. at the .
The next meeting of the Mineola Village Board will be on Wednesday, March 7 at 6:30 p.m. at the .