The Mineola Village Board of Trustees held a meeting on Wednesday, February 6. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
Troop 45 News
- On January 26, Troop 45 won the Shelter Rock Klondike Derby and members of Troop 200 in Williston Park won the younger division.
- A total of 15 senior Webelows from Pack 246 received their “Arrow of Light” and crossed over to the Boy Scouts on February 2 at the Irish-American Center.
January Financial Report
The financial reports for the village for the month of January 2013 are as follows:
- 21 residential permits issued for $12,960
- 11 commercial permits for $7,760
- 2 applications for the board of zoning appeals for $600
- 14 plumbing permits for $2,235
- 14 electrical permits for $1,400
- 20 title searches for $1,692.25
- 22 certificates of occupancy for $550
- 72 licenses for new businesses for $15,055
- for a subtotal of $42,252.25.
- There were court dispositions in the amount of $3,400 for a grand total of $45,652.25.
- Building Superintendent Dan Whalen stated that he has issued one permit for reconstruction in the wake of Hurricane Sandy and is waiting to issue a second. The village board had waived all permit fees for residential reconstruction in the wake of the storm.
- The board adopted a policy concerning community development projects since according to village attorney John Spellman, an audit is being undertaken. “It is our recommendation that the board have in place a policy... with respect to women-owned and minority-owned businesses,” Spellman said. “We’d ask the board to consider adopting this policy so we can communicate that to the county and to HUD.”
- The Evening Star Quilters requested use of a general purpose room in the community center for a workshop session on Saturday, February 16 and Saturday, March 16 from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. They also requested a general purpose room for a workshop session for Friday, April 5 and Friday, May 3 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Birchwood Court Owners, Inc. requested use of the community center auditorium for their annual shareholder meeting on Thursday, May 23 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
2013 Village Election
- A list of proposed election inspectors for the March 19, 2013 village elections was approved by the board.
- There is also a list of alternates that would be used only as fill-ins should any inspector cancel. The election will utilize the old “lever-style” voting machines as allowed by state law.
Other Board News
- Registration is now open for all spring sports at the Mineola Athletic Association. Those who register after February 15 will be charged a late fee.
- The board accepted a length of service award program (LOSAP) point certification for 2012 as set forth by the Mineola Fire Department.
- The Mineola Junior Fire Department will hold their annual pasta dinner on Sunday, March 10.
- The village offices will be closed on Tuesday, February 12 due to Lincoln’s Birthday. A holiday collection schedule will be in effect for the week.
The next meeting of the Mineola Village Board will be on Wednesday, February 13 at 6:30 p.m. at the village hall.