The Mineola Village Board of Trustees held a meeting on Wednesday, November 14. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
Toys for Tots
- The village will hold four collection points for the annual Toys for Tots toy drive: village hall, the Mineola Library, fire department headquarters and the fire department on Elm Place.
- Collections will begin on November 26 and will go for three weeks until Friday, December 14.
- Last year the village collected 18 bags of toys.
- The Mineola Athletic Association was granted use of the little league parking field No. 1 on Friday, December 14 from 4 p.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday, December 15 from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and Sunday, December 16 from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. for their annual Christmas Tree sale.
Search for Contractors
- Trustee George Durham said that areas of Island Park and Long Beach seeking licensed and insured contractors to help with rebuilding efforts.
- “They need all the help that they can get,” he said. “So if you know somebody who’s an electrician, plumber, general contractor that needs work, those villages are looking for anybody and everybody that they can take and get to take to help rebuild.”
Other Board News
- A moment of silence was held at the outset of the meeting in observance of Veterans Day to “acknowledge the sacrifices they’ve made and continue to make to protect our interests not only at home but also abroad,” Mayor Scott Strauss said.
- Deputy Mayor Paul Pereira asked that if residents have any coupons for free turkeys from any of the various supermarkets that they will not use, to donate them to either the village, schools, fire department or INN. “We’ll make sure that they get to the families that really need them,” he said.
- Cub Scout Pack 311 and Boy Scout Troop 45 sold almost 4,000 Christmas wreaths at their annual sale.
The next meeting of the Mineola Village Board will be on Wednesday, December 5 at 6:30 p.m. at the village hall.