The Mineola held a meeting on Wednesday, Oct. 5. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Pink ribbon lapel pins were given out at the board meeting due to October being Breast Cancer Awareness month.
- Last year the village partnered with to help raise public awareness about breast cancer research.
- Any resident interested in obtaining a pin can stop by village hall.
Street Fair Praise
- praised the work done by owner Tony Lobrano and President Ray Sikorski on the which this year and .
- “I know they put their heart and soul into the event and it showed,” Strauss said. “There were some areas that were identified that can be improved upon and some lessons learned from the day but those learning experiences will help make future events that much better.”
Other Board News
- Mayor Strauss and Trustee George Durham attended a ribbon cutting ceremony for the Red Phoenix Wellness center at 90 Second St.
- Fillipe Mota was approved as a member of the Company No. 1.
- A request from the for the use of the general purpose room for rehearsals on Mondays from 7 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. was approved.
- The Mineola Kiwanis will hold their annual pancake breakfast on Sunday, Feb. 5, 2012 in the community center.
- The board approved a community development block grant sub recipient agreement which is annual document in order to receive money from the Federal government which are distributed by Nassau County
- During the month of August the Mineola Fire Department responded to 91 alarms, 33 of which were related to Hurricane Irene. In September the department responded to 65 alarms. Since April 1 the department has responded to 343 alarms.
- The village’s annual Halloween party will be on Friday, Oct. 28 at the community center beginning at 7 p.m.