A Jackson Avenue Elementary School student is being honored for saving the life of a friend who was choking in the cafeteria.
While eating lunch on Jan. 25, fourth-grader Steven Jones began choking after eating a carrot stick, signaling his condition by holding his hands to his neck.
His classmate and friend Nicholas Ramos asked another student to go get help, but decided to utilize the “back thrust” technique he had learned in Cub Scout Pack 246 a few years prior to see if hecould assist his friend sooner.
After three hits to the mid-back, the carrot dislodged from Jones’s throat and the pair were honored for their action.
The Mineola Union Free School District would like to acknowledge Nicholas for his life-saving action that day and Steven for knowing how and when to utilize the symbol for choking.