In July, North Hempstead seniors can once again take part in the town's free FunDay Monday program at North Hempstead Beach Park in Port Washington.
On Mondays from July 7 to August 25, the program runs from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and features a different theme each week. Organized by the Town’s Department of Community Services, the program has been tradition for local seniors for decades.
“FunDay Monday is a fantastic series of events that allows our senior residents to see both new and familiar faces,” said Supervisor Judi Bosworth. “Residents are able to have a lovely time at the beach, while enjoying entertainment and fun activities.”
Each week, senior residents can take advantage of entertainment, fitness, games, music, and dancing. The weekly class schedule also features line dancing from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m., yoga from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., and mahjong from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.. In addition, FunDay Monday offers photo shoot hours from 12 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. with photos being available to download at: www.NorthHempsteadNY.gov/FunDayMonday.
Here's this year's schedule.
- July 7 – Welcome Back Seniors – Let the show begin, with a taste of Broadway by Sweet Lorraine.
- July 14 – Swing Party – Swing into action with Jerry Costanzo and his swing band!
- July 21 – Sock Hop – You don’t need to put money in the Juke Box to rock along with Vic Vincent.
- July 28 – Health Fair – Do you know someone who would benefit from the information and services at our annual Health Education Fair? Invite them to come or bring them with you!
- August 4 – Blue Hawaii – Sing along with Savannah Sky, then take a trip to the Polynesian Island with the amazing Dance Aloha, and let your dreams come true in Blue Hawaii.
- August 11 – Mardi Gras – Dancing, feathers, beads and masks! It’s a celebration of jazz with local favorite Vincent Rhodes.
- August 18 – Happy Anniversary FunDay Monday! – Take a historical tour across three decades of FunDay Mondays with our MC: KCG.
- August 25 – HomeTown USA Family Day – You don’t want to miss our celebration of American traditions, a specialSalute to the Armed Forces, and the music of Banjo Rascals.
Free transportation is available. Seniors can call 311 for a list of bus pick-up locations or for more information on any of these events. If you wish to drive, there is no parking fee for seniors who attend FunDay Monday. Rain dates will be on Thursdays of the same week.