From a true "smear" campaign to a penis-biting rat, 2011 was full of bizarre stories. In no particular order, here are some of the most unusual.
1. Back in January, a federal judge ruled that a 54-year-old man would have his day in court after the man claimed he suffered sexual dysfunction after allegedly being by a rat while he was an inmate at the Nassau County Correctional Center in East Meadow.
Peter Solomon, of Long Island, was being held in the East Meadow facility in February 2007 on a misdemeanor charge for menacing his wife when he claims he was bitten on his penis while asleep on a mattress.
2. An East Meadow woman was arrested in July for after her son failed to make an East Meadow Little League travel team.
According to police, on May 21, Janet Chiauzzi, 44, allegedy "of a threatening nature" to an East Meadow Little League official and his son. Police said the letter also made threats against the victim's wife and daughter.
3. In July it was reported that Rabbi Avraham Rabinowich, of the Bellmore Jewish Center, allegedly arranged on the Sabbath shortly after services.
Rabinowich's estranged wife, Amora Rachelle, learned of her husband's activities and managed to secretly videotape one of the appointments while the couple was going through a custody battle. The video was filmed in 2006.
Rachelle was for allegedly practicing psychology without a license.
4. A Merrick teen and former Chaminade student was arrested in November while away at school after he allegedly with a hockey stick and used the corpse as a puck.
Nicolas A. Coyle, 19, now faces a felony charge of malicious killing of an animal and a misdemeanor charge of cruelty to animals after a Nov. 4 incident at Salve Regina University in Rhode Island.
5. Things got a little messy in Long Beach during campaign season after someone on the car and on the front door of Democratic City Council candidate Scott Mandel.
The first incident occurred on Sept. 22, when Mandel and his wife attended the Latino Civic Association awards at the Sands in Lido Beach. He said when he returned to his car, he discovered the mirror on the driver’s side covered with feces and a pair of men’s underwear wrapped around the mirror.
His doorbell rang at midnight the same night. He looked outside, but no one was there, however, he discovered more feces on the windshield of his car and a bag of feces at the front of his driveway. He also found someone had smeared feces all over his front door and a bag of used kitty litter thrown in front of his door.