The Mineola Village Board of Trustees held a meeting on Wednesday, December 12. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
Bond Anticipation Note Payments
- The village board approved the paying off of two bond anticipation notes and saving village taxpayers $25,000 in the process.
- The first instance involves a lump sum payment of $267,000 for general fund bonds, which the village was set to make a payment of $89,000 on Jan. 11, 2013 and to which the village will add a prepayment of $178,000 from the general fund unreserved fund balance.
- This BAN was established to purchase a fire truck and will be paid off two years in advance.
- The second involves a lump sum payment of $90,000 for pool fund bonds, which the village was set to make a payment of $30,000 on Jan., 11, 2013 and to which the village will make a prepayment of $60,000 from the pool fund unreserved fund balance.
- This BAN was established for pool construction.
November Fire Department Report
Since November 14, the Mineola Fire Department has responded to the following calls:
- 19 automatic fire alarms
- five carbon monoxide alarms, two of which resulted in persons being transported to the hospital
- 12 general alarms, two “burner” alarms
- one car alarm
- one hurst tool request for extrication from a vehicle.
- To date the department has responded to 518 calls in 2012.
November Village Justice Court Report
During the month of November, the village justice court heard and collected the following fines for the number of cases listed:
- 75 moving violations for $6,905
- 4 village ordinances exclusive to motor vehicles for $1,150
- one housing violation for $500
- 1,774 parking violations for $107,044
- seven suspension appearance fees in the amount of $420
- for a total of $116,019
- The Mineola Police Activity League requested use of the community center auditorium on Thursdays and Fridays from 6:15 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. from Jan. 3, 2013 to April 5, 2013 to conduct its winter lacrosse program. This is an annual request.
Other Board News
- Operation: Santa is in full swing and any residents can call the firehouse at 746-6583 and make a reservation. There were 120 toys donated from the members of the fire department to the 2012 annual Toys for Tots drive as of December 12.
- Deputy mayor Paul Pereira and his wife welcomed new baby Anna into the world on December 11. Mom, dad and brother and sister are doing well. “We wish them the best of luck,” mayor Scott Strauss said.
The next meeting of the Mineola Village Board will be on Wednesday, December 19 at 6:30 p.m. at the village hall.