The Mineola Village Board of Trustees held a meeting on Wednesday, March 6. Here are some of the things you may have missed.
2013 Village Election Debate
- Trustee Lawrence Werther questioned if there would be a debate scheduled between candidates aead of the 2013 village election on March 19.
- Mayor Scott Strauss stated that it was not his belief that there would be a debate, saying “I don’t think we are.”
- The last debate was a number of years ago and sponsored by the Mineola Civic Association, which no longer meets as a group.
Meeting with Carle Place Civic Association
- On February 27, Mayor Strauss joined trustees George Durham and Paul Cusato attended the Carle Place Civic Association meeting to help inform the residents about the ongoing Bruce Terrace project.
- Nassau Legis. Richard Nicolello and Town of North Hempstead Councilwoman Viviana Russell also attended, each giving updates for their portion of the project.
Parking Around Jackson Avenue
- Resident Stan Wojis asked if the village was able to put “No Parking/ Standing” signs at the various intersections around Jackson Avenue and White Road, including Andrews Road, Beebe Road and Latham Road.
- “There’s been a continuing problem for many years where the cars have been parked right up to the stop sign, blocking the view of the intersection and causing a rather dangerous situation,” he said, adding that the problem is most prominent in late winter/ early spring when Chaminade students park on those streets.
- Mayor Strauss said that the village would examine the issue.
- The Mineola Athletic Association requested use of the community center auditorium and a general purpose room for their annual MAA Sports Picture Day on Thursday, May 30, 2013 from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- The event does not pose any conflicts and the group is fully insured.
- The board approved a request from the Mineola Fire Department for budget transfer in the amount of $1,179.50 from the budget line entitled Uniforms to Scott Masks.
February Financial Report
The financial reports for the village for the month of February 2013 are as follows:
- 10 residential permits issued for $6,744
- 7 commercial permits for $11,700
- 14 plumbing permits for $1,945
- 10 electrical permits for $1900
- 15 title searches for $1,284.75
- 20 certificates of occupancy for $500
- 20 licenses for new businesses for $2,805
- for a subtotal of $25,878.75
- There were court dispositions in the amount of $900 for a grand total of $26,778.75.
- One notice of violation was issued and 11 summonses.
The next meeting of the Mineola Village Board will be on Wednesday, March 13 at 6:30 p.m. at the village hall.