Text Message Alerts
- Beginning October 17 residents have the option of receiving updates from the village website on cell phones via text message in addition to e-mail. Updates include emergency notifications, garbage pickup, road closures, etc.
- Village clerk Joseph Scalero explained that the text messages would most likely be brief, consisting of eight to 10 lines indicating that, for example, a sanitation schedule would be in effect for a certain day and to check the village website.
- The village department of public works will be making repairs to two highway department trucks through the use of a Nassau County Department of Public Works Contract at a cost of $12,400 for truck No. 14 and $20,000 for truck No. 15.
- The trucks’ model years are 1992 and 1989, respectively.
- “The older of the two trucks... actually, the cab mounts had basically rotted off and we were getting to a point where we felt we weren’t going to be able to use these trucks,” superintendent of public works Tom Rini said, noting that the “pans” have rotted away in both cabs and a new replacement truck could cost as high as $150,000. “Given the quality of the engines and chassis it really doesn’t make sense to get rid of these trucks at this point.”
- The village had ordered another truck in June and Rini said that he hoped it would arrive sometime in November.
- The Evening Star Quilters requested the use of a community center general purpose room for a workshop on Saturday, Feb. 8, 2014 from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- The Mineola Fire Department requested a budgetary transfer of $700 from dues and conferences to badges and plaques.
- The village will post an opening for an accountant clerk position within the justice court to fill a vacancy by retirement earlier this year.
The next meeting of the Mineola Village Board will be on Wednesday, Nov. 6 at 6:30 p.m. at the village hall.